Saturday, August 15, 2020

Mud, and a bit water on top: Munkkiniemenranta swim


When my work runs late in the evening (as it often does, due to working with other timezones) that causes a problem for hobbies later in the evening. I'm not super hot on going on a hike in dusk or darkness. Or the mosquitos :-) Fortunately, for my July swimming tours I still have many easily accessible places left.

Today I chose to visit the beach in Munkkiniemi, Helsinki. I don't think I've been there before; quite a nice beach. But during the corona times I also want to avoid the biggest crowds. And despite arriving at the bech half past eight, there were still too many swimmers for my taste.

I wanted to swim though, so I decided to swim on the right side of the official beach. It seemed doable.

However, just a meter or two after the sandy shore it turned out that the bottom is just mud, mud, and clay. I had this sinking feeling that this wasn't going to be one of my great swims :-)

It wasn't great, because it took a long time to get out there in deep enough water. But I guess it was ok. I was able to swim and get back.

Here's were I swam: N 60.20101 E 24.85558.


For more sauna and swimming stories, check out planetswimmer.com and saunablogger.cool websites! And of course the Planetcaver, and Planetskier blogs for other stories in Blogspot and TGR! The photos and text (c) 2020 by Jari Arkko. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment