What an experience! I've been to many dry and grass slopes, but this one in the center of Stoclholm is just spectacularly good, they got the steepness, material, and slippery-level just right. I loved trying to duck the randomly operating sprinklers as I skied, however.
Hammerbybacken is a proper ski hill, in the winter operates with snow. But in the summer season they have a lot of different activities from tobogganing to hill running to children's playgrounds. And summer skiing. This year's summer season for them ended on September 27th, and I was there to try it out.
Their secret is the combination of a good hill but also the brushes embedded in the ground, the grass growing through them, and just right amount of water being sprayed from sprinklers. You'll have to guess when the randomly-enabled sprinklers turn on, and try to avoid them. I was quite wet at the end of my session, which just added to the fun.
From the hill can see the city center skyline, the Globen Arena and general city life around you from the hill. But also nature, like in the above picture the green forests and the lake. Superb.
Hammerbybacken is run by Skistar, the famous Swedish ski resort operator that also runs the country's destination mountain in the north, Åre.
The homepage of Hammerbybacken is here. They are located at N 59.30130 E 18.10958. My lift tickets for a 2 hour session with renting skis and poles cost 33 €.
It makes sense to rent their skis, or else your skis will be very grassy :-)
You should pre-book these beforehand, it is easy and then you are guaranteed a slot in case there's a rush at the slopes. There wasn't this time, though, I was there with one other adult and maybe six kids. Feeling like a kid :-)
There's a small Nordic-country -style cafeteria on site. I had to use their services because I had arrived early and had to wait for two hours, got hungry. There's hot dogs and drinks and creps and a few other things, but this isn't a full service restaurant. The bathrooms are clean and nice though.
Photos:
This article has also been published at Planetskier.net here. Read the full Planetskier series at planetskier.net, or all blog articles from Blogspot. Photos and text (c) 2026 by Jari Arkko. All rights reserved.










No comments:
Post a Comment