Friday, March 16, 2012

The Eight Hour Challenge


Valle Nevado, Chile

I've done a couple of 48-hour challenges, with the intent of collecting as many ski areas and countries as I can during that time. I've managed up to three countries or five states on these trips.

Heli-skiing in Alagna, Italy 

But since I'm short of time now, I'll be doing an eight hour challenge on Sunday. I'll land in Riga, Latvia, and eight hours later I have to return my car to Tartu, Estonia. The plan is to get to a ski area both in Latvia and Estonia. My plan is to go to Kakisklans in Latvia and Kuutsamäe in Estonia. My original plan was to fly to Tallinn, but the skiing is surprisingly far away from there. And the heli-transfer between Helsinki and Tallinn operates only on weekdays. And the boats are too slow for one day trip. So I'll just fly again in the usual way.




The 8 Hour Challenge (click for a bigger map)


But even this route is challenging. I have to get my luggage, the rental car, do all the navigation, and just the drive alone is four and half hours. Wish me luck! Hopefully the roads will also be in good condition and free of traffic, and that the border formalities or other police activities give me no delay.

And if by any chance you want to join, drop me an e-mail. We'll start early Sunday morning from Helsinki airport, or from Riga if you already are on that side.

Do you think I'll have time for after-ski?

Crowds watch in awe as the Zermatt police force springs into action

Photo credits (c) 2012 by Jari Arkko

1 comment: